April 5, 2017

The Local Offer for schools in the Redcar and Marske Teaching Schools Alliance.


All schools in the Redcar and Marske Teaching Schools Alliance are committed to and adopt a similar approach to meeting the needs of all children including those with special educational needs. There is a shared expectation that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, should be offered inclusive teaching which will enable them to make the best possible progress in school and feel that they are a valued member of the wider school community. Schools within the Teaching School Alliance benefit from access to the Green Gates Early Intervention Unit and the expertise offered by Kirkleatham Special School. (Dormanstown)

Alliance Schools are inclusive and may offer the following range of provision to support children with communication and interaction, cognition and learning difficulties, social, mental and emotional health problems or sensory or physical needs.

The range of support deployed will be tailored to individual need following thorough assessment by internal or external agencies. It is designed to promote pupils working towards becoming independent and resilient learners and should not be seen in isolation.

Below is the Local Offer for –

Coatham CE Primary School

Identification of needs

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  •  listen to any concerns you may have
  •  plan any additional support your child may receive
  •  discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning


How do we involve parents in planning for those needs?

You will be invited into school to discuss the needs of your child and to talk about the kinds of provision that are available – you will also be invited to:

  •  Termly structured conversations with the class teacher, which focus on your child’s needs and how to help both at home and school


Who in the school will support my child and how will this be monitored and evaluated?

The SENCOs (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) – Mrs S Wilkinson-Black (KS2), Mr P Maudsley (KS1)

Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.


Class/subject teacher
Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCO know as necessary.
  • Writing structured conversations with parents at least once each term and planning for these for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Head teacher Mr P Maudsley
Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • She will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN Governor Mrs L Lampard-Lowe
Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

How are the decisions made about the type and amount of provision a young person will need?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside agencies) are in place to support your child’s learning.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be in receipt of Quality First Teaching as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work within a smaller group of children.
These group, often called Intervention groups by schools, may be

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a specially trained Teaching Assistant.
  • Run by a member of staff from the Green gates Early Intervention Unit.

For your child this could mean:

  • He/ She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Learning Support Assistant/teacher will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan.
  • He / She may work with an Emotional Support Assistant who will work on specific issues relating to low self-esteem, self-control, behaviour strategies, anger management etc.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy
AND/OR  Individual support for your child of less than 10 hours in school or at a local Early Intervention support base

  •  Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.
  • Attendance at the Green Gates Early Intervention Support Base
  • Attendance at the Dormanstown Learning Support Base.


For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher (or you will have raised concerns) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs and be able to support them more effectively.
  • The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching
    • Support to set effective targets which will include their specific expertise
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
    • A group or individual works with an external professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. We will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support
for your child of more than 10 hours in school.

This will usually be provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 10 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Support bases
  • Specialist teaching services

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (the request will include information about the difficulties your child is experiencing, your comments will also be included), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need an Education Health Care Plan. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support provided.
  • After the reports have been received the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 10 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Education Health Care Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support provided.
  • The Education Health Care Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • Need more than 10 hours of support in school

For all groups of children progress is monitored and shared with parents; feedback and evaluations are sought from external support and impact of any additional support is monitored against progress made in school.


How will the curriculum be matched to the needs of the young person?

  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff will be planned for, by the teacher, to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis, if needed, in order to meet your child’s learning needs


How accessible is the school environment?

  • The buildings are all accessible to children with physical disability.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND
  • Disabled toilet facilities are available in the building.

Parental Involvement

How will both the school and the parent know how the young person is doing and how will the school support the young person’s learning?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCO and Head Teacher are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Structured conversations will be reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to meet your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

Overall Well-Being

What support will there be for the young person’s well-being?

  • Class teachers offer Personal, Social, Health Care Education lessons where opportunities are taken to talk, share and discuss emotions through scenarios, puppets and thought provoking prompts.
  • Some support staff are trained in the giving of medications, although for those medications which need specific training, we would ensure that this training was accessed.  Medication can only be given if it is prescribed and where the medication has not expired.  Health Care Plans are written for children who need immediate medication such as Epi-pens and all staff are trained on their use.
  • Our lunch time club, led by a Teaching Assistant trained in ASD provides a safe haven for children who find it difficult to cope on the playground during lunch time.

Specialist Services

What specialist services and expertise are accessed by the school?

Directly funded by the school:

  • Teaching Assistant support
  • Lunch time club Teaching Assistant support

Provided by the Local Authority or other schools but available at cost to the school:

  • Early Intervention Support Base (behaviour)
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Specialist Teaching Service (Assessment, advice and resources for children with literacy or numeracy difficulties including Dyslexia)
  • Early Bird Courses (autism support)

Provided for by the Health Service but often delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy

Provided for by the Health Service and delivered away from school:

  • CAMHS (Child and adult mental health services)

Staff Training

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

Currently staff are trained in:

  • Better reading partnership
  • Reading Recovery
  • Numicon (Maths intervention)
  • How to help children with specific learning difficulties (dyslexia)
  • Behaviour Management
  • Autism
  • Sensory Processing Disorders
  • Diabetes
  • Epilepsy
  • Epi-pen use

Activities outside school

How will the young person be included in activities outside of the classroom including school trips?

  • All school trips are risk assessed and this includes looking at the activities against the needs of the children
  • All children are included in school trips, modifications will be made as necessary
  • When risk assessments raise a concern, parents will be consulted and an agreed way forward will be planned to ensure the child is included


How will the school prepare and support the young person in joining the school and how will it support the transition to the next stage of education?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.  All structured conversations will be shared with the new teacher.
    • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
    • Termly Pupil Progress meetings ensure that all information is passed on to relevant adults.
  • In Year 6:
    • The Y6 teaching team and SENCO if necessary will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school
    • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
    • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

SEND resources

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the young person’s special educational needs?

  • The school budget, received from Redcar and Cleveland LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
    • the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


  • Further Information  Key points of contact and how further information can be accessed.

Coatham CE Primary School

Coatham Road

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council TS10 1QY

Tel. 01642 486291

Head Teacher – Mr P Maudsley

  • Parents can discuss any concerns relating to SEND with the SENCos, Mrs Wilkinson-Black and Mr Maudsley, via the school office – Tel. 01642 486291.
  • Coatham CE Primary School have an ‘open door’ approach to parental enquiries, please do just call in, if we are free we will be happy to talk to you.

Appendix 1

There are many SEN terms that are abbreviated which can lead to confusion

(even for us!). Below is a glossary of the most used SEN terms.


AO Attendance Officer


Attention Deficit Disorder


Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder


Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Behavioural Emotional & Social Difficulties


Common Assessment Framework


Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service


Code of Practice


Child Protection


Developmental Co-ordination Disorder


English as an Additional Language


Educational Psychologist


Free School Meals


Hearing Impairment


Individual Education Plan


In School Review


Key Stage


Looked After Child


Local Authority


Moderate Learning Difficulty


National Curriculum


Occupational Therapist


Pastoral Support Programme


Speech & Language Therapy


Special Educational Needs


Special Educational Needs & Disability


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Specific Learning Difficulty


Visual Impairment


Appendix 2

Frequently Asked Questions

How will school know if children need extra help?

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • Limited progress is being made
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress

What should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns
  • If you have concerns contact Mrs Johnson our special needs coordinator

How will I know how Coatham Primary School is supporting my child?

  • Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  • If a pupil has needs more related to a specific area of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills etc. then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This may be run by the teacher or a trained teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions are regularly reviewed to inform future planning.
  • Pupil Progress meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the year group teachers meet the senior leadership team to discuss progress. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.
  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as learning support, behaviour support from the Green gates Early Intervention Unit, the educational psychologist, P level assessments provided by Kirkleatham Special School etc. A referral will be made, with your consent and comments then forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After assessment, a programme of support is often provided to the school and to parents/carers.
  • The Governors of Wheatlands are responsible for ensuring that we have a named person to be responsible for Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures. At Wheatlands we have two named members of staff, Mr Maudsley and Mrs Wilkinson-Black.  Mrs Eltherington is responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and Barring service procedures and the schools Single Central Record. The Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review all policies as defined by the DFE,

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • Teaching assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with a pupil 1-1 or in a small group to target more specific needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Education Plan. This will be agreed during termly Structured Conversation meetings between staff and parents. Pupils may be present if appropriate.
  • If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, easy to use scissors, pencil grips etc.

How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at the termly Structured Conversation Meeting.
  • Your child’s class teacher is available at the end of each day if you wish to raise concerns. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SEN coordinator.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The class teacher may suggest ways to support your child.
  • Mrs Wilkinson-Black/Mr Maudsley and the class teacher may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with a child’s behaviour or emotional needs.
  • The termly Structured Conversation meeting will highlight actions for home and school.
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • Members of staff are readily available for children who wish to discuss issues and concerns.
  • Our lunchtime club caters for children who find the long lunchtime challenging.
  • Y5 and 6 pupils help ensure that children are not alone on the playground.

Pupils with medical needs

  • If a pupil has medical needs a Care Plan is compiled with help from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff involved with the pupil.
  • Staff receive regular epipen training.
  • Staff attend training for children in school with specific conditions such as diabetes, cancer etc.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed medicine consent form is in place.
  • Named members of staff have First Aid at Work and Paediatric First Aid training.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • Educational Psychologists
  • Speech and language therapist
  • Learning support (this service offers support with specific learning difficulties in addition to more general learning difficulties and ASD)
  • Behaviour support from the Green Gates early Intervention Unit
  • CAMHS (Child and Adult Mental Health Service) can be accessed via a GP referral
  • Child Protection Advisor
  • Social Services
  • The Inclusion Team
  • Occupational therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Attendance Officer
  • Early Bird sessions (autism)
  • School Counselling service

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Activities and school trips are available to all.
  • Risk assessments are carried out to ensure that all children can participate safely.
  • If it is deemed necessary for a child to be accompanied 1-1 then a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.

How accessible is the school environment?

  • As a school we are happy to discuss individual access arrangements.
  • Our school is fully accessible.
  • A toilet is adapted for disabled users.

How will the school support my child when joining Coatham or transferring to a new school?

  • Discussions between previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil leaving/joining.
  • All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new teacher.
  • Additional visits are arranged for pupils who need extra support when transferring to secondary school.
  • Class teachers, Mr Maudsley and Mrs Wilkinson-Black are happy to meet with parents/carers prior to a new child starting our school.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils when they are in Y6.
  • Y5 and Y6 pupils attend the local secondary school for occasional technology or PE sessions.
  • Where a pupil may have a more specialised need a separate meeting can be arranged with the special needs coordinator from the secondary school.

How are the schools resources allocated and matched to children with special educational needs?

  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs.
  • The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.
  • Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher and the Senior Leadership Team. Decisions are based upon termly Pupil Progress meetings and as a result of assessments by outside agencies.
  • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then alternate or additional interventions will be arranged.